NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of GT Advanced Technologies Inc. (GTAT) are up 7.73% to $15.90 following a report in ETNews.com that said sapphire is beginning to be used as smartphone cover glass in earnest, and that growth of related downstream industries is anticipated.
GT and Rubicon (RBCN) both make sapphire components. Rubicon shares are up 6.68% to $7.99.
Sapphire is considered more durable than tempered glass.
Samsung Electronics (SSNLF) and LG Electronics recently asked ingot and wafer makers to submit samples in an effort to adopt the sapphire cover glass.They reviewed it last year as well, but they were reluctant to use it because of high prices, but as global competitors recently announced plans to release new products with sapphire glass, they began to reconsider it in a hurry, ETNews.com said. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Growth Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV