NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If I compared the importance of the new Moto E smartphone to iconic products of the 20th Century, I'd choose the Volkswagen Beetle as being the industrial model - not really bare bones and not cutting-edge but a solid, affordable product which will get you where you want to go. If the Moto E had a theme song, it would be Theme For The Common Man.
The Moto E is the third and probably final smartphone coming from the pairing of Motorola Mobility and Google (GOOG). The next smartphone model will come from the Lenovo-owned version of Motorola. The same team that brought you the innovative Moto X - and the super-successful $179 (non-contract price) Moto G, has tried its hand at producing an even less expensive device.
Moto E has darn good specs for a smartphone that costs just $129. The Moto E has a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm (QCOM) Snapdragon 200 processor, an Adrino 302 graphics chip, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of built-in storage, a microSD expansion slot, a 5 MP rear camera and an almost full HD quality (540 x 960 pixels), 4.3-inch touchscreen which uses Corning (GLW) Gorilla Glass 3 protection. Spec wise, the Moto E is similar to what top-of-the-line Android phones were just two to three years ago.
It also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities and a 1,980 mAh (not user replaceable) battery pack which does a great job, in concert with the Snapdragon processor, to provide more than two days of battery life.Like its Moto brethren, the E runs on the latest version of the Android OS 4.4.2, codenamed KitKat. Like the other phone, there's no bloatware, or extra apps stuffed inside. That's a giant plus when you compare any recent Moto phone to model to those from Samsung, HTC, LG and most others Android-based smartphones.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV