3 Stocks Advancing The Industrial Industry
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 12 points (0.1%) at 16,545 as of Thursday, May 22, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,121 issues advancing vs. 844 declining with 178 unchanged.The Industrial industry as a whole closed the day up 0.8% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.3%. Top gainers within the Industrial industry included Continental Materials (CUO), up 3.5%, P & F Industries (PFIN), up 2.8%, Compx International (CIX), up 2.5%, Ultralife Batteries (ULBI), up 1.8% and Gencor Industries (GENC), up 3.0%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today:Gencor Industries (GENC) is one of the companies that pushed the Industrial industry higher today. Gencor Industries was up $0.29 (3.0%) to $9.94 on light volume. Throughout the day, 4,557 shares of Gencor Industries exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 17,500 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $9.69-$9.94 after having opened the day at $9.74 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $9.65. Gencor Industries, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, designs, manufactures, and sells heavy machinery used in the production of highway construction materials, synthetic fuels, and environmental control equipment. Gencor Industries has a market cap of $77.3 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are up 1.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Gencor Industries a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Gencor Industries as a buy. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on GENC go as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, GENC's share price has jumped by 36.23%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- GENCOR INDUSTRIES INC's earnings per share declined by 35.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GENCOR INDUSTRIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.71 versus $0.47 in the prior year.
- GENC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 18.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Machinery industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 36.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $2.98 million to $1.90 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV