Real Estate Watchers Can Get Excited for Second Half of 2014
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you pull the lens back on housing, things actually look fairly positive.
Home prices are up 20% from the fourth quarter of 2011 and price appreciation is expected to maintain a steady pace of 5.3%, according to the most recent CoreLogic Case-Shiller Index.
So why are housing industry experts so skittish on the real estate market?
Thin inventories, homeowners who are afraid to sell because they feel they won't find a decent place to live and an overall sluggish economy are all areas of concern.latest FNMA housing report shows an immediate slide in home-buying activity, although things should level out after that. "We have downgraded our May forecast slightly from April following a very weak first quarter, but we anticipate economic growth to gain momentum in the second quarter and remain firm throughout the rest of this year," Fannie Mae chief economist Doug Duncan says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV