The way I see it, either history repeats and the S&P 500 and Dow (DIA) follow the lead of small caps and correct -- thus validating this persistently bearish bent.
Or, maybe market participants get caught leaning the wrong way -- fueling a monster summer rally taking the S&P 500 north of 2000, causing casual investors around the country to reach for their mute buttons anytime the Rick Santellis of the world appear on TV.
Neither scenario is a sure thing, but it's best to begin preparations for both.Check out more on the amazing stat that the S&P 500 falls greater than 10% each and every time the Russell 2000 has fallen by 10% since 2000 (35 times!). Please see this excellent blog post by Michael Batnick (@michaelbatnick). Follow me on StockTwits: @chicagosean >>Read More: Netflix Has an Enormous Opportunity Sitting in Front of It >>Read More: Microsoft Knows Where It Is Going, but Who Will Follow? >>Read More: Exclusive: United Pilots to CEO - 'Lead or Get Out of the Way' At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @chicagosean This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV