May 22, 2014
/PRNewswire/ -- Airfarewatchdog™, the most inclusive source of airfare deals, researched and verified by experts, today released the results of its 2014 Summer Travel Survey. Over 13,000 Airfarewatchdog subscribers responded to the poll, which indicated that most respondents plan to fly for vacation, but that 61% have yet to fully book their trips.
Most Travelers Saying "Yes" to a Summer Vacation
- 77% of the Airfarewatchdog survey respondents said they are flying (or a combination of flying and driving) to their summer vacation destination while only 15% are planning to drive.
Last-Minute Planning Takes the Lead
- 83% are taking at least one vacation this summer—and they're spending.Of those who are vacationing:
- The average overall summer travel budget is $4,467.
- 32% are taking 4–7 vacation days.
- 22% are taking 8-11 vacation days.
- 17% are taking more than 15 vacation days.
Which Is The Best U.S. Airline?
- 46% still haven't booked their summer vacation.
- Only 38% of travelers have fully booked their vacation.
- 15% have only booked a part of their vacation.
Airfares a Major Deterrent, but Still a Bargain Compared to Years Before
- An overwhelming 29% said that Southwest Airlines is their favorite airline to fly, followed by Delta at 18% and Jetblue at 11%.
Quote from Airfarewatchdog president, George Hobica:
- While many of us have to travel by air, there are still points of pain.
- From a wide range of choices, expensive fares were the highest booking deterrent (74%) in the survey results. But not all fares have consistently risen over the years. New York to Liberia, Costa Rica cost $302 RT in May 2005, but recently it cost $288 RT. That $302 fare adjusted for inflation is equivalent to $366 today— so in almost 10 years, that fare has actually dropped $78 in inflation-adjusted terms.
- Fees (all of them) were the second-highest deterrent (22%).
- Lack of space/legroom on the plane rounded out the top three (18%).
"Judging by the average spend on vacations this summer of nearly
, it would appear that big budget travel is making a comeback. And almost a fifth of respondents are taking over two weeks of vacation this summer. But it was no surprise that Southwest Airlines, with its generous travel change policy and low fees, continues to be our readers' favorite carrier. Another surprise was that almost half haven't booked their travel plans yet.
is the most inclusive source of airfare deals, researched and verified by experts. Airfarewatchdog is owned and operated by part of Smarter Travel LLC, a subsidiary of TripAdvisor, Inc.
Smarter Travel operates
, and sites in the U.K.
Airfarewatchdog and the Airfarewatchdog logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Smarter Travel LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.