BOSTON, May 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Airfarewatchdog™, the most inclusive source of airfare deals, researched and verified by experts, today released the results of its 2014 Summer Travel Survey. Over 13,000 Airfarewatchdog subscribers responded to the poll, which indicated that most respondents plan to fly for vacation, but that 61% have yet to fully book their trips.
- 77% of the Airfarewatchdog survey respondents said they are flying (or a combination of flying and driving) to their summer vacation destination while only 15% are planning to drive.
Most Travelers Saying "Yes" to a Summer Vacation
- 83% are taking at least one vacation this summer—and they're spending.Of those who are vacationing:
- The average overall summer travel budget is $4,467.
- 32% are taking 4–7 vacation days.
- 22% are taking 8-11 vacation days.
- 17% are taking more than 15 vacation days.
Last-Minute Planning Takes the Lead
- 46% still haven't booked their summer vacation.
- Only 38% of travelers have fully booked their vacation.
- 15% have only booked a part of their vacation.
- An overwhelming 29% said that Southwest Airlines is their favorite airline to fly, followed by Delta at 18% and Jetblue at 11%.
- While many of us have to travel by air, there are still points of pain.
- From a wide range of choices, expensive fares were the highest booking deterrent (74%) in the survey results. But not all fares have consistently risen over the years. New York to Liberia, Costa Rica cost $302 RT in May 2005, but recently it cost $288 RT. That $302 fare adjusted for inflation is equivalent to $366 today— so in almost 10 years, that fare has actually dropped $78 in inflation-adjusted terms.
- Fees (all of them) were the second-highest deterrent (22%).
- Lack of space/legroom on the plane rounded out the top three (18%).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts