NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wells Fargo (WFC) is "best positioned of any bank" to benefit from sooner-than-expected tightening of monetary policy by the Federal Reserve and "a renewed desire by the government to aid housing," argued Rafferty Capital Markets analyst Dick Bove in a report published Thursday
Bove lifted his Wells Fargo price target to $58.50 from $51.50. Shares were up 0.36% Thursday to $49.85, slightly shy of their 52 week high of $50.49 reached April 4.
Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac (FMCC) recently announced they are easing up on the standards that must be met for banks to avoid future legal claims.
"There is no company in the country better positioned to take advantage of the shift in government mortgage policies. The internal adjustments made by the bank in pricing servicing and in the cost of originating loans suggest that mortgage activity will be a big source of company income very soon," Bove wrote.
Most analysts left price targets unchanged following the presentation.
Deutsche Bank analyst Matt O'Connor, who rates Wells Fargo a "hold," had no problems with the presentation but is concerned about growth in the overall economy.
"We wonder how much GDP growth can accelerate if consumer under-writing standards remain tight, growth remains sluggish at the biggest banks, and the Fed continues to dial back asset purchases," O'Connor wrote.
Nonetheless, O'Connor said he believes Wells Fargo is "well-positioned vs. most peers for higher interest rates."
Billions More in Mortgage Penalties Coming: Federal Regulator
Fannie, Freddie Bull Ackman Steers Clear of D.C. Fight
-- Written by Dan Freed Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV