NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bon-Ton Stores (BONT) stock is gaining Thursday despite reporting a wider-than-expected net loss and revenue below analysts' estimates over its first quarter. By midday, shares had added 4% to $11.06.
Over the three months to April, the retailer reported a net loss of $1.62 a share, far wider than analysts' estimates of net losses of $1.22 a share according to Thomson Reuters. Revenue of $622.53 million missed expectations of $642.16 million.
The company also reaffirmed its fiscal 2014 guidance for net income of 40 cents to 70 cents a share. Analysts forecast 59 cents a share in profits.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates BON-TON STORES INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate BON-TON STORES INC (BONT) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and unimpressive growth in net income."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BONT Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV