BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Feel free to blink -- you're not missing much in the stock market in 2014. Since the first week of March, the big indices have basically flat lined, the S&P 500 budging all of 0.5% in the last two months and change.
Volatility remains extremely low this year, both on a statistical basis and an implied one through the VIX Volatility Index. While high volatility doesn't create a particularly good environment for investors, neither does none at all. And that's been a big contributor to the frustrating sideways grind that we've been caught up in for a while now.Forgive the trite expression, but it's a "market of stocks, not a stock market". In other words, even while the market averages are doing nothing, there are some individual names that are showing investors attractive trading opportunities this summer -- big ones too. Right now, some of Wall Street's biggest names are leading the way with setups that are getting near a breakout. That's why we're taking a technical look at trading setups in five of Wall Street's biggest stocks today. >>5 Hated Earnings Stocks You Should Love If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. >>5 Rocket Stocks Ready for Blastoff Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at five high-volume stocks to trade this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV