NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Existing home sales rose by 1.3% in April after declining 0.2% in March according to the National Association of Realtors (NAR).
The increase was less than the expected 2.2% expected by forecasters. Prices increased to $201.7 million compared to $196.7 in March.
"Some growth was inevitable after sub-par housing activity in the first quarter, but improved inventory is expanding choices and sales should generally trend upward from this point," said Lawrence Yun, NAR chief economist, expected the improvement.
The report caused a slight pullback in home builder stocks, which had been climbing in morning trades.Shares of PulteGroup Inc. (PHM) were up 2.12% to $19.24, off a high of $19.33. Lennar Corp. (LEN) shares, meanwhile, dipped from an intraday high of $39.31 to $39.05, but were still up more than 2% on the day.
>>>Read More: Anworth Mortgage, Your Greed Is Showing
>>>Read More: Billions More in Mortgage Penalties Coming: Federal Regulator
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV