NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Dollar Tree (DLTR) stock is gaining Thursday after beating earnings estimates in its first quarter. The discount chain is moving higher even as second-quarter and full-year guidance came in below consensus. By midmorning, shares are up 7.1% to $53.55.
In its April-ended first quarter, the company earned 67 cents a share, a penny higher than analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected. Revenue of $2 billion was inline with estimates.
However, for its second quarter, management guides for earnings between 58 cents and 64 cents a share, while analysts anticipated profits at the high end of that range. For its full year, the company expects earnings of $2.94 to $3.12, below an expected $3.15 a share.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates DOLLAR TREE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate DOLLAR TREE INC (DLTR) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations, growth in earnings per share, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DLTR Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV