NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Lorillard Inc. (LO - Get Report) are down -5.29% to $59.32 after it was reported that Reynolds American Inc. (RAI - Get Report) and Lorillard are in advanced talks to combine in a deal that would dramatically reshape the U.S. tobacco landscape, creating a powerful number two to industry leader Altria Group Inc. (MO - Get Report), sources say, the Wall Street Journal reports
A deal would also give Reynolds a commanding position in the fast-developing market for electronic cigarettes, the battery-powered heating devices that turn nicotine-laced liquid into vapor, and represent a growing alternative to traditional smokes, the Journal said.
Reynolds stock is flat.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, LO's share price has jumped by 29.27%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- LORILLARD INC's earnings per share declined by 13.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LORILLARD INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.14 versus $2.81 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.44 versus $3.14).
- Net operating cash flow has remained constant at $703.00 million with no significant change when compared to the same quarter last year. Along with maintaining stable cash flow from operations, the firm exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -31.85%.
- The gross profit margin for LORILLARD INC is rather high; currently it is at 55.62%. Regardless of LO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 23.62% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LO Ratings Report