NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Hess Corp. (HES - Get Report) are up 1.91% to $91.01 in pre-market trade after the integrated energy company announced that it agreed to sell its retail business to Marathon Petroleum Corp. (MRO - Get Report) for $2.6 billion.
Hess Retail is the largest chain of company operated gas stations and convenience stores along the east coast with 1,342 locations.
Proceeds from the sale will be used for additional share repurchases and the company has increased its existing share repurchase authorization from $4 billion to $6.5 billion.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,158.00 million or 41.39% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 18.91%.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- HES's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.23 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.75 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- 37.88% is the gross profit margin for HESS CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of HES's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, HES's net profit margin of 6.94% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HES Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts