Patterson Companies, Inc. (Nasdaq: PDCO) today reported that consolidated sales totaled $1.1 billion in its fiscal fourth quarter ended April 26, 2014, an increase of 14.2 percent from $964.9 million in the year-earlier period. Net income was $61.4 million, or $0.61 per diluted share (excluding costs related to the Medical unit restructuring), versus net income of $63.6 million, or $0.62 per diluted share, in the year-ago period.
Fiscal 2014 fourth quarter results included $156.0 million of consolidated sales and an earnings contribution of $0.01 per diluted share from the acquisition of NVS, which closed on August 16, 2013. Fiscal 2014 fourth quarter results reflect the second full-quarter contribution from NVS.
“We were challenged by a tough macro environment in the fiscal fourth quarter,” said Scott Anderson, chairman and chief executive officer. “The impact of the severe winter weather and currency fluctuations combined to constrain our performance. However, as we entered the spring months, activity has normalized.”
As previously disclosed, the company is implementing a global information technology initiative in order to enable Patterson to accommodate future growth, assist in securing future productivity gains and enhance the customer experience. Investments in this initiative reduced the fiscal 2014 fourth quarter earnings by approximately $0.02 per share.Patterson DentalSales for Patterson Dental, representing approximately 60 percent of total sales and the largest of Patterson’s businesses, decreased approximately 1.5 percent on a constant currency basis, from the year-earlier period, to $622.8 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014. By category, again on a constant currency basis, versus the year-ago quarter, sales of:
- Consumable dental supplies were up 0.4 percent to $337.7 million;
- Dental equipment and software declined 4.7 percent, with basic equipment categories, however, posting strong gains; and
- Other services and products, consisting primarily of technical service, parts and labor, software support services and artificial teeth, were up modestly from prior year levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV