St. Jude Medical, Inc. (NYSE:STJ), a global medical device company, today announced preliminary results from the EnligHTN III study, which found the company’s second-generation EnligHTN™ renal denervation system provided safe and effective therapy for patients with drug-resistant, uncontrolled hypertension six months post-procedure. The results were presented during a hot line late-breaking clinical trial session at EuroPCR 2014.
The EnligHTN III study is an international, non-randomized clinical trial that followed device performance and assessed outcomes through six months of follow-up for 39 eligible patients. Preliminary results confirmed safe, rapid and sustained reduction in blood pressure measurements for patients with drug-resistant hypertension, meaning their high blood pressure could not be controlled through medication.
“This six-month data from EnligHTN III provides further evidence of the benefits associated with this next-generation renal denervation system,” said Prof. Stephen Worthley of St. Andrew's Hospital in Adelaide, Australia, a principal investigator of the EnligHTN III study. “This study demonstrates that the next-generation EnligHTN renal denervation system delivers safe and effective treatment that is aligned with the outcomes of the first generation system, and ultimately saves time in the procedure room.”
Six-month EnligHTN III data showed:
- An average systolic blood pressure reduction of 25 mmHg points
- 81 percent of patients responded to the therapy, which is defined as a blood pressure reduction of at least 10 mmHg when measured during an office visit
- No serious device- or procedure-related adverse events reported
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts