NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I will admit it, I should have seen this one coming today. The stock market had a huge up day Wednesday. The market has become so dependent on the Federal Reserve and the release of its meeting minutes that is was a given it would be a good day for the stock market.
From day to day, this stock market has no memory. After being down 140 points on Tuesday in the DJIA, it turned right around and was up 158.75 to close at 16533. The S&P 500 was up 15.20 at 1888, within nine points of its all-time closing high. The Nasdaq closed at 4131.54, up 34.65, and the Russell 2000 was up 5.73 at 1103.63. Volatility is the key word for 2014.
I will also go on record to tell the traders, investors and Wall Street pundits that this Federal Reserve-stimulated and -controlled stock market will ultimately end very tragically.
At one point today, a Federal Reserve member actually said it has the tools to control whatever situation will arise. Talk like that is pure fantasy. But the markets and the hedge fund machines push prices to the extreme limits, knowing the Federal Reserve has their backs. The individual trader and investor will pay the price for this manipulation.
My internal algorithm number indicators have time and time again flagged extreme trading conditions. We are once again at the point of extreme overbought, and in some cases extraordinarily overbought, conditions in the momentum growth stocks.
The hedge funds have performance issues in 2014 and they are trying their best to recoup huge losses if they bought those momentum stocks at their yearly highs. Unfortunately, they have created extreme overbought conditions this past week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV