NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Hormel Foods (HRL - Get Report) are down 2.53% to $47.30 after the company reported second quarter 2014 earnings of 52 cents per share versus 46 cents a year ago, but below the 56 cents analysts expected.
Sales were $2.2 billion, a 4 % increase, but volume fell 1% from a year ago.
The food company affirmed full year 2014 EPS guidance of $2.17 to 2.27, Analysts' target is $2.26.
- HRL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- HRL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.07 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.39, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- HORMEL FOODS CORP has improved earnings per share by 18.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HORMEL FOODS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.94 versus $1.86 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.25 versus $1.94).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 121.62% to $314.29 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, HORMEL FOODS CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -20.80%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HRL Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts