NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yahoo! is said to be close to buying video streaming start-up RayV in effort to bolster its video service, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.
Yahoo! (YHOO) is said to be close to buying video streaming start-up RayV, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.The company is reportedly interested in acquiring RayV to bolster its video service, as the start-up develops software for high definition online video streaming. In addition, RayV offers a content distribution network, a content management system and digital rights management function, according to the Journal. RayV's Web site says it has "developed a unique suite of patented technologies and a new approach to video streaming." It's based in Los Angeles with research and development operations in Tel Aviv. The report comes after Yahoo!'s failed attempts to acquire video site DailyMotion and streaming video site Hulu. The company has been investing in original programming, however. Yahoo! announced in April that it has two new comedies in the works, set to air next year on Yahoo's Screen apps for desktop, mobile, Apple (AAPL) TV and Roku. And starting this summer, the Screen app will feature one concert every day on its new Live Nation Channel as well. As of now, there is no confirmation of the deal or what the sale price might be.
In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV