NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) stock is dropping Wednesday after the teen retailer reported first-quarter revenue lower than expected and guided for below-consensus earnings for the second quarter. By market open, shares had tumbled 3.1% to $10.98.
In its first quarter ended April, revenue dropped 5% year over year to $646 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected sales a touch higher at $647.74 million.
For its second quarter ending July, management expects a high single-digit decline in comparable sales and breakeven earnings. Analysts had forecast profits of 4 cents a share.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates AMERN EAGLE OUTFITTERS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AMERN EAGLE OUTFITTERS INC (AEO) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have evaluated. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AEO Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV