NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mergers can be as dicey -- or as blissful -- as modern-day marriages. And, especially in the aftermath of the global economic downturn, they can be delicate.
It takes indomitable resolve and patience to create a masterful merger and begin a shared legacy. So which companies have done it right?
Here are the top five post-recession deals -- deals where companies got it right, despite the odds against them.
These primo mergers were chosen from the largest M&A deals from 2009 to 2014. We searched for the greatest mutual benefit in those mergers, as well as improvements in revenue, customer outreach, business expansion, operating results and innovation. We also looked for flexibility from both parties and resilience in the face of regulatory demands and other challenges.Verizon Communications & Vodafone Year: 2014 Sector: Telecom Transaction Value: $130 billion Vodafone's (VOD) transfer of its wireless unit to Verizon Communications (VZ) is the third-biggest corporate deal it orchestrated during the past decade and a half. The success that the British telecom player found in the sale of Verizon Wireless, which had been jointly owned by both companies, is a sequel to the lessons it learned from its doomed merger with AOL in 2000. This deal should have been done a long time ago, analysts say. It provided a hefty sum of $84 billion to Vodafone shareholders who had resigned themselves to the telecom giant's fast-shrinking market capitalization during the 14-year period that followed the emergence of Verizon Wireless as a joint venture in 2000. The wireless business has enabled Verizon to build new networks with sophisticated technology that helped it emerge as America's top broadband and telecom player.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV