3 Stocks Pushing The Internet Industry Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Internet industry as a whole closed the day down 0.9% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.5%. Laggards within the Internet industry included LookSmart (LOOK), down 3.6%, Selectica (SLTC), down 4.5%, Internet Initiative Japan (IIJI), down 3.5%, Sify Technologies (SIFY), down 3.0% and TechTarget (TTGT), down 4.3%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:Internet Initiative Japan (IIJI) is one of the companies that pushed the Internet industry lower today. Internet Initiative Japan was down $0.42 (3.5%) to $11.82 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2,784 shares of Internet Initiative Japan exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 8,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $11.78-$11.87 after having opened the day at $11.86 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $12.24. Internet Initiative Japan Inc., together with its subsidiaries, offers Internet connectivity, WAN, outsourcing, and systems integration services primarily in Japan. The company operates in two segments: Network Services and Systems Integration Business, and ATM Operation Business. Internet Initiative Japan has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the technology sector. Shares are down 11.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Internet Initiative Japan as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on IIJI go as follows:
- IIJI's revenue growth trails the industry average of 21.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.32, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.30 is sturdy.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 47.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $10.16 million to $5.35 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, INTERNET INITIATIVE JAPAN INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV