3 Stocks Pushing The Insurance Industry Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Insurance industry as a whole closed the day down 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.5%. Laggards within the Insurance industry included Independence (IHC), down 1.8%, Kingsway Financial Services (KFS), down 1.7%, Crawford & Company (CRD.A), down 2.2%, Investors Title (ITIC), down 2.1% and Atlas Financial Holdings (AFH), down 4.5%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:Investors Title (ITIC) is one of the companies that pushed the Insurance industry lower today. Investors Title was down $1.52 (2.1%) to $69.10 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 17,419 shares of Investors Title exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 5,700 shares. The stock ranged in price between $68.47-$70.30 after having opened the day at $68.75 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $70.62. Investors Title Company, through its subsidiaries, provides title insurance to residential, institutional, commercial, and industrial properties in the United States. Investors Title has a market cap of $141.3 million and is part of the financial sector. Shares are down 14.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Investors Title as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on ITIC go as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- ITIC has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign.
- INVESTORS TITLE CO has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INVESTORS TITLE CO increased its bottom line by earning $7.08 versus $5.25 in the prior year.
- The share price of INVESTORS TITLE CO has not done very well: it is down 5.26% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, INVESTORS TITLE CO has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV