Top Deloitte Exec Got Gambling Loans From Casino He Audited: SEC
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission has suspended former Deloitte LLP Chief Risk Officer James T. Adams for tens of thousands of dollars of credit in 2009 it says he accepted from a casino operator he was involved in auditing at the time.
"James T. Adams repeatedly accepted tens of thousands of dollars in casino markers while he was the advisory partner on subsidiary Deloitte & Touche's audit of a casino gaming corporation," states an SEC press release, which adds that Adams "concealed his casino markers from Deloitte & Touche and lied to another partner when asked if he had casino markers from audit clients of the firm."
Markers are loans from casinos. The SEC did not name the casino operator that gave Adams the markers.
Adams, 62, is charged with violating the SEC's rules on auditor independence. He retired from Deloitte in 2010. He neither admitted nor denied the SEC's charges, but agreed to a two year suspension from practicing as an accountant on behalf of any publicly traded company or other entity regulated by the SEC.
Adams was a partner of D&T, a Deloitte subsidiary, from June 1985 through May 29, 2010. Adams worked for Deloitte or D&T and their predecessor entities from June 1974 until he retired in May 2010.
>>>Read More: Fannie and Freddie Accounting Disaster Here to Stay
>>>Read More: KPMG in Deep With SEC's Lawyers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV