BACKGROUND: Over 82M shares of FireEye can be sold tomorrow without the restrictions that were put in place following a secondary stock offering by the company, an April 22 regulatory filing by FireEye indicates. The first day on which shares can be sold following restrictions is referred to as the lock-up expiration day. Following the registration last month of the shares that FireEye issued in connection with its acquisition of Mandiant, about 145M shares of FireEye would be outstanding, the company estimated in the filing last month.
ANALYST OUTLOOK: After restrictions preventing FireEye insiders from selling stock expire on May 21, investors could become more optimistic about the shares, Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund predicted. FireEye has a robust opportunity in the IT security market and its technology is "best-of-breed," while its management team is strong, the analyst stated. FireEye is investing heavily and losing money, but investors with a longer term time horizon could benefit from the company's positive attributes, the analyst indicated. The stock reached an attractive entry point, wrote Sherlund, who kept a Buy rating on the shares.
PRICE ACTION: In late morning trading, FireEye jumped about $3, or 10.4%, to $31.94.
Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV