Proto Labs, Inc. (NYSE: PRLB), a leading online and technology-enabled quick-turn manufacturer, has completed the move of its CNC Milling operation from Maple Plain to its new production facility in Plymouth, Minn., making way in Maple Plain for conversion of the previous manufacturing space to office space. The new 166,350 sq. ft. plant in Plymouth now houses a large share of Proto Labs’ plastic and metal CNC machines along with about 175 office and manufacturing workers. Over the next few years, the company plans to nearly double the number of employees in Plymouth. Proto Labs’ tool-making, sampling, and research operations will remain in Maple Plain.
A sea of CNC machines fill the production floor at Proto Labs' new Plymouth facility, which still has additional space for expansion. (Photo: Business Wire)
Employees at Proto Labs and members of the media were invited to an open house on Thursday, April 24 to get a firsthand glimpse of a facility on the brink of production. Shortly after, Proto Labs began rapidly moving its industrial equipment in waves from its Maple Plain headquarters to Plymouth, a strategy designed to avoid any production downtime. It worked. “During the move, we’ve maintained a 99.7 percent on-time rate of shipped parts with our Firstcut [CNC machining] service and are now fully operational in our new facility,” says Mike Kenison, Proto Labs Vice President of Manufacturing.
With the hiring of a new CEO, the introduction of two new manufacturing processes and the acquisition of Raleigh, North Carolina-based additive manufacturer, Fineline Prototyping, Inc., it has been a busy first half of 2014 for Proto Labs with no indication of slowing down in the near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV