BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- "The best way to become a millionaire is to start as a billionaire and buy an airline." That old joke has been the common wisdom in recent years when it's come to airline investing. Airlines have huge cost burdens, they face major regulatory pressures, and they go bankrupt left and right.
That's why this year's airline rally has caught so many people by surprise. In a year when few stocks are performing well, the airline industry has been a high flyer, climbing around 15% since the calendar flipped to January. Zoom out to last May, and those gains climb to more than 30%.Airline industry gains aren't some fluke. Instead, the airline business is the poster child for a cyclical business; after the painful restructurings of 2008, it's no surprise that airlines are faring well coming out of a major cyclical low, even in the face of triple-digit oil prices. That's why we're taking a closer look at the technical trading setups in five big airline stock charts today. >>Sell These 5 Toxic Stocks Before It's Too Late For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. Without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV