NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- GoPro is going public. And investors on StockTwits.com say high-definition video and audio chipmaker Ambarella (AMBA) will ride the wave of enthusiasm for the mount-anywhere, "action camera" maker.
In an IPO filing yesterday, GoPro revealed that its mountable, wearable cameras -- which developed as a way for athletes to film themselves participating in extreme sports -- generated $985.7 million in revenues last year. GoPro has been profitable since at least 2011, according to the filing, and earned $60.6 million in 2013. And GoPro has not yet begun to exploit all its revenue opportunities. GoPro includes a studio application that allows users to edit and share video. It uploads some of these user videos, along with GoPro films made by professional athletes and celebrities, to channels on Facebook (FB), Instagram, Twitter (TWTR), and Google's (GOOG) YouTube. GoPro's Youtube channel alone has had over 450 million views. In the future, GoPro plans to show ads along with these videos.
Becoming a media company via hardware origins http://stks.co/f0dSW $GPRO ? Dan Ramsden (@d_ramsden) May. 20 at 07:17 AMIn its prospectus, GoPro said it would use the ticker GPRO and raise $100 million. However, that figure is considered a placeholder. The actual amount will become clear as the company makes its pitch to investors and gauges interest. The main beneficiary of GoPro excitement is Ambarella, say StockTwits' users and Wall Street analysts. The company, which went public in 2012, makes video, image and audio processing systems-on-a-chip used in GoPro's HD cameras, as well as in Samsung (SSNLF) products and products delivered to automotive parts-maker Robert Bosch.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV