While half (50 percent) of U.S. adults plan on taking a family vacation this summer, the large majority (89 percent) are plagued by the amount of time and effort required for planning a successful trip.
According to an Omnibus survey commissioned by MasterCard, American families are most stressed out about:
- Getting to, from and through a departing and arriving airport (57%)
- Deciding on a location (50%)
- Developing an itinerary of fun and unique experiences (49%)
- Finding family friendly accommodations (44%)
These trip-related challenges may explain why half (50 percent) of U.S. adults have had a family vacation experience in the past they wish they could re-do.
The perceived hassle is notably greater among people who do not have vacation plans. For instance, those without a trip in the books are more likely to wish planning a family vacation was simpler (72 percent versus 66 percent of those with vacation plans). Additionally, women (74 percent) are more likely than men (67 percent) to find family vacation planning stressful.Carlos Menendez, travel warrior and global head of consumer products at MasterCard: “Family vacations are the most precious time of the year – but planning them shouldn’t be stressful. We want to be a family’s best travel companion – taking away the hassle from finding a destination, booking a trip, getting there and organizing a rewarding experience.“ According to the survey, when on vacation, 93 percent of Americans are motivated to use a credit, debit or prepaid card over cash – for the following reasons:
- Convenience (80%)
- Fraud protection or theft protection (65%)
- Tracking purchases (49%)
- Earning rewards, points or cash back (46%)
- Avoiding the currency exchange (45%)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts