- Cut/4 CArboN : By 2020, Ball strives to reduce the carbon footprint of its most common beverage can formats by 25 percent. Ten percent will originate from efforts Ball can control, like lightweighting its cans and making its plants more energy efficient. The remaining 15 percent will come from work with industry partners to increase beverage can recycling rates and reduce the energy intensity of aluminum production.
- Aerospace : Ball Aerospace develops groundbreaking spacecraft, sensors, systems and components that provide critical climate and environmental data. For example, the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership satellite contributes vital information for national forecasts, severe weather warnings, search and rescue operations, military contingency planning and environmental monitoring.
- Innovation : Ball introduced lighter weight aerosol and beverage cans in Europe. The innovative, new aerosol can, expected to launch in the Americas in 2015, is 10 percent lighter than previous cans and contains 25 percent recycled aluminum. The ultra-light, 33-centiliter aluminum beverage can weighs less than 10 grams and saves approximately 5 percent of metal compared to its predecessor.
- Operations : The company achieved a 7.8 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions globally in all of its businesses. Additionally, 33 of Ball's 61 worldwide manufacturing locations sent zero waste to landfill, and the company increased the amount of waste reused and recycled from 54 to 65 percent. Ball also improved its safety record, reducing its total recordable incident rate (recordable incidents per 200,000 hours worked) by 5 percent and finishing 2013 with a TRIR of 1.6, which is significantly lower than the manufacturing and metal can manufacturing industries as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics for 2012.
- Talent Management : Seventy-six percent of employees participated in Ball's first global employee engagement survey, indicating a high level of engagement. Engaged employees are essential because they are committed, actively involved in and enthusiastic about work, and act in a way that furthers the organization's success. Survey feedback provided valuable information on the company's strengths and improvement opportunities.
- Recycling : Recycling steel and aluminum yields many benefits, including energy savings and greenhouse gas emission reductions, so Ball supports numerous programs to increase recycling. For example, Ball helped establish the Every Can Counts recycling program in seven European countries and has an ongoing partnership with the Curbside Value Partnership (CVP), which increased U.S. communities' participation in curbside recycling programs by 18 percent and recycling volumes by 23 percent on average.
- Supply Chain: In 2013, Ball joined the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI), which aims to develop a standard to foster responsible environmental, social and governance principles and performance throughout the aluminum value chain.
- Community : Ball employees contributed to the communities where they live and work financially and through countless volunteer hours. For example, U.S. and Canadian employees raised more than $1.4 million for charities as part of the company's corporate giving and community engagement campaign. The Ball Foundation awarded nearly $1.1 million in grants in 2012 and more than $2.4 million in 2013, including a $1 million pledge to support community relief efforts after the devastating floods that impacted Colorado in 2013.
Ball Corporation Releases 2014 Sustainability Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.