MINNEAPOLIS, May 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Although familial harmony reigns in most U.S. households, a recent survey conducted for Honeywell (NYSE: HON) finds that Americans in 12 states are more likely to argue over home temperature than who controls the television remote. The result? One in three people will change the temperature when no one is looking.
Conducted by Ipsos Reid on behalf of Honeywell, the survey shows that home discomfort is a key cause of discord among a majority of American households in the following 12 states: New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Washington, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Texas, Arizona and California.
According to the survey, 30% of respondents can never agree when it comes to the temperature of the home, and 27% admit to changing the temperature setting when no one looking, compared to 16% who battle for the TV remote. The discord is greatest among younger Americans aged 18-34, among whom 37% never agree about the home temperature, 39% of whom will change the temperature when no one is looking, and 27% of whom will battle for the remote.
Other causes of household conflict: getting chores done and listening:
- More than 40% of women feel forced to remind those they live with to help accomplish household chores;
- Men (18%) are significantly more likely than women (14%) to say that they are in a constant battle for the TV remote;
- Couples with children are more likely to never agree on the home's temperature (34% vs. 28%), change the thermostat when no one is looking (35% vs. 24%), and always battle for possession of the TV remote (26% vs. 12%); and
- 16% of Americans admit they have "pretended not to hear when being asked to do a household chore", with men twice as likely as women to do so.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV