DALLAS, May 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) introduces the next-generation, ultra-low-power DSP in TI's scalable TMS320C5000™ device portfolio, the TMS320C5517 (C5517). The new DSP delivers up to 200 MHz performance enabling faster processing of data with low-power consumption for demanding applications, such as audio and video, biometrics and other analytic specific applications. These applications are opening up a world of possibilities that add capabilities such as face detection, object tracking and voice recognition to a new generation of smart products. Along with the improved performance, the C5517 DSP also offers a compelling combination of low stand-by and low active power, making it the best choice for battery-powered, portable systems requiring analytics.
Scaling the C5000 DSP portfolio
With the addition of this full-featured C5517 DSP, TI now offers a scalable C5000™ device portfolio with lower performance (50/100 MHz) C5535 DSPs to mid-range (120/150 MHz) C5514/15 DSPs and now high performance with the newest C5517 DSP (200 MHz).
Features and benefits of the C5517 DSP:
- Enable external sensor connectivity. The McSPI enables low-power analytics through connectivity to external sensors. It operates in master or slave modes, as well as adds to the standard SPI ports on the device to support greater serial connectivity.
- Connect to standard codecs such as EICs D/A, A/D and more. McBSP is a flexible serial port that allows customers to connect to standard codecs. It also enables continuous full-duplex communication and supports up to 128 channels in TDM mode.
- Simplify communication between processors. The Universal Host Port Interface (UHPI) is an easy way for a host processor to connect to the DSP while allowing direct access to the DSPs memories for sharing of data between elements.
- Build smaller hardware for space-constrained applications. Customers can pack signal processing performance into systems with challenging space and power restrictions due to the C5517 DSPs small 10x10 footprint and ultra-low power operation.
- Enhance and extend product lines. The C5517 DSP offers a greater number and variety of peripherals and greater signal processing performance than previous members of TI's ultra-low-power DSP family. This enables developers to add new capabilities or improve analytic performance of an existing product line, while leveraging the same tool and software basis previously used.