Why You Should Care About Your Summer Job
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Although a summer job is often seen as "just a paycheck," it could turn into a real career or come with a pay raise if you take the position seriously. Experts say the skills you're learning and the people you're meeting could be your ticket to something great. Check out the top five reasons you should take your summer job seriously.
1. You're going to need your boss as a reference.
Treating your summer job as simply a vehicle to make money sends a signal to your boss that you can't see the bigger picture and don't value the experience you're gaining.
"Current managers can serve as references for your next position, says Tom Gimbel, president and CEO of LaSalle Network, a Chicago staffing firm."Job-seekers not only have to perform their best while on the job, they also have to leave on good terms to list managers as references for their next positions. It's a small world and you never know who someone may know," he says. Even if you aren't interested in working long term in your summer job, your bosses are likely well connected in the community or in their industry. "Your name can be brought up in a casual conversation, so it's important to always put your best foot forward," Gimbel says. 2. You'll gain experience that will translate to any career. Summer jobs help you develop professionally by teaching you about a new industry and allowing you to learn things that will be useful in a future position, such as dealing with different types of people or handling an upset customer, Gimbel says. "At the end of the day, even if the job has nothing to do with the job-seeker's career track, these opportunities provide chances to network and become better equipped to land the job they really want," he says. Paul Millard, co-founder and managing partner of executive search firm The Millard Group says some of his company's best hires have been those with experience working as a server in a restaurant or in construction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV