NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors had the ultimate buying opportunity in Hess (HES) in mid-summer, TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said on CNBC's "Cramer's Mad Dash" segment.
The company will sell its retail business to Marathon Petroleum (MPC) for $2.6 billion. And while Hess has some favorable drilling locations, they are not as good as SandRidge Energy's (SD), which recently "doubled down" on the Eagle Ford shale, Cramer said.
The Eagle Ford shale only produced 50,000 barrels of oil per day in 2011. Today, production has jumped to 1.4 million barrels per day, he noted.
The U.S. is pumping 8.4 million barrels per day, Cramer said, the highest since 1986. He suggested that eventually, U.S. production could eclipse 10 million barrels per day.This is a "feel good story" for the U.S., which has been importing much less oil. Many oil companies want to export oil, he concluded, because we simply can't refine it all in the U.S. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell >>Read More: Anworth Mortgage, Your Greed Is Showing >>Read More: Kass: Keep Clear of the Consensus >>Read More: Hess -- What's This Oil Stock Worth, Based on Fundamentals? >>Read More: Apple's 7:1 Stock Split: Take a Bite Before June 2
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV