NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Urban Outfitters Inc. (URBN) are down -3.93% to $34.75 in after-hours trading after the specialty retailer reported that first quarter fiscal 2015 net income declined from the previous year.
Net income was $37,478, or 26 cents per share, for the three months ended April 30, 2014, versus $47,058, or 32 cents per share, in the previous year.
Total company net sales for the first quarter increased 6% over the same quarter last year to a record $686 million from $648 million.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- URBN has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, URBN has a quick ratio of 1.75, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- URBAN OUTFITTERS INC has improved earnings per share by 5.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, URBAN OUTFITTERS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.89 versus $1.61 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.01 versus $1.89).
- 40.50% is the gross profit margin for URBAN OUTFITTERS INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 9.78% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $212.53 million or 3.52% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, URBAN OUTFITTERS INC has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -4.54%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: URBN Ratings Report
WATCH: More market update videos on TheStreet TV | More videos from Kori Hale
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV