Developers Take Notice: Home Buyers Just Want an Easier Commute
NEW YORK (BankingMyWay) Home values are once again rising steadily, and with that comes more buyers. Aside from room for their family, what do these buyers want in a tighter market? An easy commute, mainly.
According to CoreLogic, a global real estate industry analyst, U.S. home prices rose 11.3% in the fourth quarter of last year compared with a year earlier.
"Limited construction of new homes and low inventories of existing homes for sale contributed to the jump," says David Stiff, principal economist for CoreLogic Case-Shiller, which co-produces a quarterly reading of the nation's housing market. "Developers remain cautious about building too many new houses until they see stronger demand in their markets."
Stiff also says that more "traditional buyers" are entering the housing market, even as speculators and investors leave it, and it's known buyers who actually move into their houses and build lives there want certain things.At the top of the list is a good commute to work, followed by neighborhoods filled with skilled professionals who help raise the profile of the community and thus the value of homes. "Seventy-three percent of recent homebuyers said that commuting costs were an important factor when deciding whether or not to purchase," says Jessica Lautz, an economist at the National Association of Realtors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV