Buy-Rated Dividend Stocks: Top 3 Companies: MIC, RAI, SNP
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Macquarie Infrastructure (NYSE: MIC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.30%. Macquarie Infrastructure Company LLC, through its subsidiaries, owns, operates, and invests in infrastructure businesses that provide services to businesses and individuals primarily in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 70.48. The average volume for Macquarie Infrastructure has been 289,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Macquarie Infrastructure has a market cap of $3.4 billion and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 10.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Macquarie Infrastructure as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MACQUARIE INFRASTRUCT CO LLC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MACQUARIE INFRASTRUCT CO LLC increased its bottom line by earning $0.60 versus $0.29 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.39 versus $0.60).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Transportation Infrastructure industry. The net income increased by 246.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.87 million to $20.37 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 75.46% to $59.08 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, MACQUARIE INFRASTRUCT CO LLC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -6.14%.
- 41.53% is the gross profit margin for MACQUARIE INFRASTRUCT CO LLC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, MIC's net profit margin of 7.37% significantly trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Macquarie Infrastructure Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV