But this agreement between Apple and Google does not apply to the ongoing disputes between Apple and Samsung. So what exactly do they get out of this?
Both companies realize they have a common enemy: so-called patent trolls. These are companies that exists for the sole purpose of suing other companies. Patent trolls' primary targets have been Apple and Google, which have been sued roughly 200 times each since 2009. In fact, Apple ranked as their top litigating target in 2013. Google was not far behind, at No. 3.
So instead of fighting each other, both companies have joined forces to fight the trolls, including asking the Supreme Court to force those who lose frivolous patent suits to pay the legal fees for the defense.
It remains to be seen what comes out of this. But one thing is certain, if Apple and Google are able to focus their attention more on innovation and less on going "thermonuclear," consumers will be the winners.At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL and held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Richard_WSPB This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
>>Read More: 3 Stocks Rising on Unusual Volume >>Read More: Bulls Looking for Tiffany to Shine
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV