I first learned of Stratasys (SSYS) in 1999 and was instantly excited. They had a 3D printer that printed plastic objects from digital models (yes, way back then). It was based on rapid prototyping technology they bought from IBM (IBM) -- just another golden egg IBM casually tossed away. This incredible technology struck me as fantastic, with so much potential, too. We could only imagine the benefits this held for life, industry and investors.
Unfortunately, after enthusiastically pitching this great discovery to everyone I knew I got nothing but disappointment. I was so disheartened I didn't even buy the stock.
That was 15 years ago. Since then, I've taken a number of baths. I worried a lot about girls and what had happened to my bike. (Apologies to the great author Douglas Adams, may he enjoy the scenery in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.) Then the 3D printing rage hit like a tsunami. I was hysterical. Rapid prototyping, huh? I've seen that movie before.
Hence lies the biggest investment lesson I've learned many times over, and am still learning: Truth is less important than perception of it.
But let's face it, the first phase of 3D printing craze was mostly laughable, not unlike the 1990's dot-com bubble. A few items included a toy that squeezes out plastic noodles, printed hamburgers, travel with no luggage, along with CAD files for toothbrush and underwear. That's cool, dude, but let's try to be serious?
I missed the first 3D printing salvo but watched its subsequent burst with great moral satisfaction. I'm still a huge believer in 3D printing after 15 years, baths and all. And I want to make sure not to miss the next wave.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV