3 Stocks Moving The Consumer Goods Sector Upward
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 40 points (0.2%) at 16,487 as of Friday, May 16, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,578 issues advancing vs. 1,383 declining with 164 unchanged.The Consumer Goods sector as a whole closed the day up 2.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.3%. Top gainers within the Consumer Goods sector included Leading Brands (LBIX), up 1.7%, Global-Tech Advanced Innovations (GAI), up 1.8%, Entertainment Gaming Asia (EGT), up 7.0%, Constellation Brands (STZ.B), up 3.9% and Exceed (EDS), up 1.9%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the sector higher today:Exceed (EDS) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Goods sector higher today. Exceed was up $0.03 (1.9%) to $1.61 on light volume. Throughout the day, 31,050 shares of Exceed exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 51,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.53-$1.61 after having opened the day at $1.54 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.58. Exceed Company Ltd. is engaged in the design, development, and wholesale of footwear, apparel, and accessories under the brand name of Xidelong in the People's Republic of China. Exceed has a market cap of $52.4 million and is part of the food & beverage industry. Shares are down 4.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Exceed a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Exceed as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on EDS go as follows:
- EDS's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.03 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 9.67, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Textiles, Apparel & Luxury Goods industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 40.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.10 million to $3.01 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Textiles, Apparel & Luxury Goods industry and the overall market, EXCEED CO LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV