The 10 Most Expensive Cars Ever Sold At Auction
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A classic car can have a special meaning, making a car collector willing to pay any amount, in order to own the vehicle. To some, a classic car is a work of art that holds a historic, sentimental or simply an aesthetic value that makes it a must own for the buyer.
Collecting cars can be one of the most expensive hobbies a person can have. Many cars placed on the block at auctions are in limited supply and owning such a car gives you a unique item others will come to admire.
For many of us, whether we are buying a new or used car, the worry of how we will pay for it can be burdensome, but for those die-hard classic car collectors no amount is too much.
The following ten cars are the most expensive ever sold at auction:
1954 Mercedes-Benz W196
Price Adjusted for Inflation: $29,967,886
Sold by: Bonhams Auction on July 12, 2013
Produced in Germany, this car brought Mercedes-Benz back into the world of grand prix racing. The car was Germany's Formula One entry in the 1954 and 1955 Formula One sessions, winning 9 of the 12 races in which it was entered.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV