ATLANTA, May 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts is proud to announce the InterContinental San Juan and Victor Bonano Ortiz, a culinary student at the Jose A. (Tony) Santana International School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts as the winners of the brand's Ultimate Culinary Clash, a cooking competition and scholarship fundraiser for culinary students. With the assistance of InterContinental San Juan Executive Chef Efrain Cruz, Ortiz received top honors against four other culinary students paired with InterContinental properties in the contest winning a $5,000 scholarship from the InterContinental brand. The competition took place Thursday, May 15 at the InterContinental® San Francisco hotel.
Eight accomplished culinary personalities, including Chef Todd English, restaurateur of the InterContinental® New York Times Square hotel's Ca Va Brasserie, judged the competition and scored each dish on taste, creativity and presentation. Winning student Ortiz impressed the judges with his dish "Apple Sage Roasted Pork Belly with Butternut Squash, Exotic Mushrooms Torteloni, Petit Pois and Hickory Smoked Pork Jus." His creation will be featured in InterContinental hotel restaurants across the U.S. and Puerto Rico the week of June 2 and on the InterContinental Kitchen Cookbook iPad app, which houses a collection of inspiring recipes created by InterContinental hotels' executive chefs from around the world.
"This young chef was extremely enthusiastic and brought a Caribbean flare to San Francisco," said English. "He created an interesting variation on the classic surf and turf, and the pork belly melted in your mouth. It was also a very beautiful dish."
Showcasing the brand's commitment to culinary excellence, the Ultimate Culinary Clash serves as an opportunity for the InterContinental brand to help inspire the next generation of culinary stars by giving exceptional young talent the stage and support to progress their culinary training in a meaningful way. Over the course of five months, five InterContinental properties across the United States and Puerto Rico held local competitions with culinary students. The first place winners from each hotel received the opportunity to move forward to the Ultimate Culinary Clash in San Francisco and also have their dish featured on their local hotel restaurant's menu for a night. The InterContinental properties' restaurants and culinary schools that participated in this year's contest were:
- InterContinental® Buckhead Atlanta hotel's Southern Art and Le Cordon Bleu Atlanta
- InterContinental® Chicago Magnificent Mile hotel's Michael Jordan's Steakhouse and Le Cordon Bleu Chicago
- InterContinental San Francisco hotel's Luce and Le Cordon Bleu San Francisco
- InterContinental New York Times Square hotel's Ca Va Brasserie and Culinary Institute of America
- InterContinental San Juan hotel's Trattoria Italiana and Jose A. Santana International School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV