NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Several analysts issued upbeat notes to investors on Rackspace (RAX) after the company, which provides cloud computing services, last night announced that it had been approached by a number of other companies that expressed interest in exploring strategic relationships, including partnerships and acquisitions. Rackspace disclosed it had hired Morgan Stanley (MS) to evaluate the proposals and explore other alternatives.
ANALYST OPINION: In a note to investors earlier today, Credit Suisse wrote that Rackspace's cloud offerings would be attractive to multiple companies, including Cisco (CSCO), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), and Dell. These companies could use Rackspace to expand their cloud offerings, according to the firm, which thinks Rackspace would likely be worth more than $47 per share in a potential deal. Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray said in its own note that the list of potential buyers for Rackspace is "extensive" and includes Cisco, Google (GOOG), Amazon.com (AMZN), EMC (EMC), VMware (VMW) and Red Hat (RHT).
Piper believes takeout speculation, coupled with improving fundamentals, limits downside risk in Red Hat shares and the firm keeps an Overweight rating on the stock after the company confirmed being approached by multiple parties. Also upbeat was JMP Securities analyst Patrick Walravens, who recommended investors buy Rackspace shares. The company's business is poised to accelerate, and it could attract interest from multiple bidders, Walravens contended, adding that the stock is "significantly undervalued" and could more than double from current levels. The analyst kept a $67 price target and Outperform rating on the shares.
PRICE ACTION: In early trading, Rackspace climbed over 19% to $36.53.
Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV