May 16, 2014
Kimberly-Clark Health Care
recently crowned the champion of the inaugural
Smart-Fold Wrap Races
at the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM) Annual Conference and Expo in
from Brandywine Hospital was declared the fastest sterilization wrapper, beating out central services (CS) professionals from across
the United States
. The timed, head-to-head wrapping competition spotlighted how
Smart-Fold Sterilization Wrap
enhances the skills of CS professionals by enabling them to wrap quickly and efficiently.
Smart-Fold Wrap Race
The 2014 Smart-Fold Wrap Race competition is designed to test the wrapping skills and speed of CS professionals using Smart-Fold Sterilization Wrap. More than 170 wrappers across
entered the contest and after several rounds of competition, the wrappers with the four fastest times traveled to IAHCSMM to determine the fastest wrapper. The final four contestants were:
- Rebecca Allen, Methodist Hospital, Omaha, Neb.
- Naomi Campbell, Brandywine Hospital, Coatesville, Pa.
- Patty Fuller, Saint Luke's Northland, Kansas City, Mo.
- Nataliya Fried, Gillette Children's Hospital, St. Paul, Minn.
In the final round,
was named Smart-Fold Wrap Race Champion, wrapping three surgical instrument trays in just 34.0 seconds.
"Year after year, it is a great honor for us to sponsor the IAHCSMM Conference, as it reinforces our belief that central services professionals are critical to preventing infections in the healthcare setting," said
, Marketing Director, Surgical & Infection Prevention, Kimberly-Clark Health Care. "By hosting both the Smart-Fold Wrap Races and the Confidence Builder Awards, we are able to shed light on the serious issue of sterilization processes with fun and lighthearted events that recognize the important work these professionals contribute to the operating room each and every day."
A video of the 2014 Smart-Fold Wrap Race Finals is available at:
Confidence Builder Awards
Kimberly-Clark Health Care also honored two winners of the annual Confidence Builder Awards at the conference. The Confidence Builder Awards, sponsored by Kimberly-Clark Health Care, recognize Sterile Processing Departments that are building confidence within their organization with programs that empower the CS team and the hospital to deliver the best in patient outcomes. This year's winners are:
- Central Supply Department (CSD) at HIMA San Pablo Caguas, Puerto Rico – The CS supervisor at HIMA San Pablo Caguas created a new strategy to change the way education was delivered to the rest of the CS team, designed to be engaging to every team member. Each team member was assigned a topic to research from the Central Services Technical Manual and was tasked with presenting their findings to the rest of the team. After a few weeks, each individual team member took it upon themselves to dive deeper into the content and created Power Point presentations to educate the team. As a result, enthusiasm for education spread throughout the CS team to help extend knowledge and improve outcomes.
- Central Services Processing Department at Sanford Health, Fargo, N.D. – The team at Sanford Health, Fargo developed a CS council with members elected by their peers to generate ideas for improvement, improve morale and build confidence within the department. The council uses everyday Lean concepts to focus on process improvement and encourages all team members to submit ideas. Implementing ideas submitted by employees reminds all team members that their contributions matter, thereby boosting confidence. The council also implemented Friday Trivia and a Giving Tree to boost morale and remind employees of their importance to the CS team.
The Confidence Builder Award winners were recognized during the 2014 IAHCSMM Annual Conference and Expo and received an engraved plaque and educational grant for their facility.