NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ - Get Report) are up 1.63% to $48.74 in after-hours trading after Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A - Get Report) disclosed a stake in the telecommunications company as Warren Buffett's backup stock pickers build their portfolios, Bloomberg reports.
Berkshire held 11 million shares of the company on March 31, Berkshire said in a regulatory filing.
The stake is valued at about $528.7 million based on today's closing price in New York, Bloomberg noted.
- VZ's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC is rather high; currently it is at 63.69%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.80% is above that of the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 102.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,952.00 million to $3,947.00 million.
- VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.00 versus $0.31 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 12.1% in earnings ($3.52 versus $4.00).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: VZ Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts