You Can Ruin a Job Interview With Desperation or Confidence
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Whether you're desperate for a job or convinced you're the world's greatest hire, you shouldn't convey that in an interview. Experts say coming across as overly needy or boastful are the quickest ways to rejection. Here's why your attitude may rub hiring managers the wrong way.
If you're too confident ...
Employers are looking for candidates who exude confidence but aren't overly boastful, says Robin Ankton, regional vice president of Accountemps, a division of Robert Half.
"They want to know about your accomplishments and how they relate to the job, but they don't want to hear about why you think you could do a better job than they can," Ankton says.When you boil it down, an interview is a lot like a first date, says Amanda Augustine, job search expert with TheLadders. "Confidence is attractive, but arrogance is a turn-off. Who wants to work with someone who has a big ego?" she says. "Employers consider how you behave in the interview to be an indication of how you will interact with colleagues, vendors and clients on the job." Remember that you're interviewing for the job at hand, says Paul Sorbera, president of Alliance Consulting. Too often people talk about what they "really want to do" rather than selling themselves for the job that's available. "If you oversell yourself and portray that you have a skill set beyond what the job requires, you're going to be perceived as inappropriate for the job," he says. "You're basically saying, 'I could run the world, but I'll take this job,' and no one wants to work with a person like that." Hiring managers don't want to hire someone who is going to be bored in their job, says Joe Ungemah, vice president of talent solutions at CEB. "Don't walk in and say, 'I could do this with one hand tied behind my back,'" Ungemah says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV