NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The FCC has passed its proposed net neutrality rules that would allow Internet service providers (ISP) to charge content service providers for higher quality delivery of their traffic to users, Reuters reports.
The FCC describes an open Internet as "the Internet as we know it, a level playing field where consumers can make their own choices about what applications and services to use, and where consumers are free to decide what content they want to access, create, or share with others."
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
Shares of Verizon Communications Inc.
(VZ) are down -0.23% to $47.90.
AT&T Inc. (T) stock is up by 0.07% to $36.42.
The FCC also voted to limit the amount of spectrum Verizon and AT&T could purchase at the 2015 auction, in order to reserve spectrum in wireless carrier markets that do not have a substantial amount, as a way of keeping large companies from monopolizing the market, Reuters reports.
- VZ's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC is rather high; currently it is at 63.69%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.80% is above that of the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 102.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,952.00 million to $3,947.00 million.
- VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.00 versus $0.31 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 12.1% in earnings ($3.52 versus $4.00).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: VZ Ratings Report
WATCH: More feature videos on TheStreet TV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV