BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Typically, summer is the time of the year when Mr. Market hits the snooze button -- "summer doldrums," they call them. But as summer 2014 fast approaches, this year could bring a change in the market's normal M.O.
After all, we've been grinding through "spring doldrums" for the last couple of months, with major indices such as the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average slugging it out sideways amid very low volatility. And as the sideways churn drags on for a third month, we're ticking closer to a return to more directional trading this summer.Why the change of pace? It's the individual stocks that make the market and right now, some of Wall Street's biggest names are leading the way with setups that are getting near a breakout. That's why we're taking a technical look at trading setups in five of Wall Street's biggest stocks today. If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. >>Hedge Funds Hate These 5 Stocks -- Should You? Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at five high-volume stocks to trade this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV