NORTHBROOK, Ill., May 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) today announced estimated catastrophe losses for the month of April 2014 of $280 million, pre-tax ( $182 million after-tax). Catastrophe losses occurring in April comprised six events at an estimated cost of $250 million, pre-tax, plus unfavorable reserve reestimates of prior reported catastrophe losses.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life's uncertainties through its Allstate, Encompass, Esurance and Answer Financial brand names and Allstate Financial business segment. Allstate is widely known through the slogan "You're In Good Hands With Allstate ®." The Allstate brand's network of small businesses offers auto, home, life and retirement products and services in the United States and Canada.
Financial information, including material announcements about The Allstate Corporation, is routinely posted on www.allstateinvestors.com.
Forward-Looking Statements and Risk FactorsThis news release contains forward-looking statements about catastrophe losses. These statements are based on our estimates and assumptions that are subject to uncertainty. These statements are made subject to the safe-harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Management believes the estimated impact of catastrophe losses, including net loss reserves, are appropriately established and recorded based on available facts, information, laws and regulations. However, actual results may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements in this news release and from the amounts currently recorded for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- Our policyholders' ability to report and our ability to adjust claims may have been impeded by the extent of the devastation and the number of areas affected.
- It is particularly difficult to assess the extent of damage in the initial stages of adjusting residential property losses.
- Our estimate for the ultimate costs of repairs may not prove to be correct because of increased demand for services and supplies in the areas affected by the catastrophes.
- The number of incurred but not reported (IBNR) claims may be greater or less than currently anticipated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV