I can't say whether this deal will turn out to be in Apple's best interest or not, or whether Apple made a poor decision or overpaid. The world's largest technology company has earned the right to spend its billions in whichever way it pleases.
Apple stock was at $590 at 12:15 p.m., down 0.7% for the day and up 7.4% year-to-date.
The general consensus -- especially here at TheStreet -- is that Apple is buying Beats Electronics for its streaming capabilities.Apple clearly missed the streaming music boat, likely because of its position in the paid music downloads space. While Pandora (P), Spotify and others gobbled up the streaming music market, Apple remained idle. Its late entry into the market finally came with the introduction of iTunes Radio, which has yet to take the world by storm. Perhaps Apple liked Beats' headphone technology. Maybe it's a step into the fashion and apparel business. In any case, the Street's general consensus is that the move was made for streaming music. TheStreet's own Rocco Pendola suggests a number of select companies that Apple could acquire -- ones that would actually make sense too. The company's move to get into streaming music is interesting. And it brings us the big question: Is streaming video next?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV