- Hull recognized by the European Patent Office for his groundbreaking invention of the original 3D printing technology Stereolithography (SLA ®)
- EPO people's choice award voting now active through June 10, 2014
- Inducted into the National Inventor's Hall of Fame in partnership with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for his globally impactful and transformative work inventing and pioneering 3D printing
ROCK HILL, S.C., May 15, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) today announced that Chuck Hull, the inventor of 3D printing and founder of 3D Systems, has been nominated by the European Patent Office (EPO) for the 2014 European Inventor Award. As an American citizen, Hull is being recognized within the Non-European category as "an outstanding inventor working outside of Europe who has been granted a European patent." Prolific in his work, Hull holds 76 US patents, and has an additional 18 European patents and 14 Japanese patents.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=25389
Hull is being recognized by the EPO for his groundbreaking invention of the original 3D printing technology, Stereolithography (SLA ®). Hull also co-created the STL file format, which continues to be the gold standard in ultra high-definition 3D printing connectivity with all CAD formats. Today, SLA technology is used to print everything from personalized, in-ear hearing aids and professional music devices to automotive parts for design-to-manufacturing. In 1983, Hull 3D printed a small cup, the first-ever object created with additive technology. The success of Hull's process served as a catalyst to his founding of 3D Systems in 1986.The European Inventor Awards includes people's choice award by popular vote. Please support Chuck by voting for him at the EPO website ( www.epo.org/vote ) or via the EPO's Facebook page ( http://bit.ly/PopularPrizeAPP ). Voting is open now through June 10, 2014, at midnight CET. Hull continues to lead the 3D printing revolution as 3D Systems' Chief Technology Officer, celebrating 30 years of continuous 3D printing innovation and presiding over seven different 3D print technologies, more than 100 materials and 1,700 patents.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts